Ven Pongal, Mil or Kara pongal is a popular rice dish in Tamil Nadu, this is my husband's favorite comfort food. As he likes it very much, I have tried many recipes and ended up with perfect recipe for Ven Pongal. I usually make this as breakfast during weekend. It is usually served along with Coconut chutney and Sambar.
Let us see How to make Pongal Step by Step.
Rice - 1/2 cup
Moong dal to gethw=al - 1/4 cup
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Pepper - 1/2 tsp
Salt - To taste
Water - 2.5 cup
Green Chilli - 2
Curry leaves - 10-15
Ghee - 2 tbsp
1. Wadsh rice and dal together. Then cook it in a cooker with 2.5 cup of water, pepper, cumin seeds , salt and pinch of asafoetida for 10 minutes in simmer after whistle.
3. Now add cashew and fry until it is golden brown in color, at last add curry leaves.
4. Add tempered items to the Ponagl and mix well.
5. Serve pongal with coconut cutney or sambar.
- If you like your Pongal watery add some more water.
- You can even add pinch of cumin seed and pepper during temper.
- Dry roasting moong dal before cooking will increase the flavor of pongal.